Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Hump Day


Yesterday was a bit of a mess from a walking and diet perspective, but there was no harm done.

Per my normal Tuesday plan, I did barbell complexes in the morning, followed by walking throughout the day.  Life intruded however and I did not get in much beyond my morning walk and whatever natural accumulation I get from being downtown.  Still 14k steps though.

Food: 2708 cal (ouch), 229 Protein, 178g Carb (ouch!), 99 Fat.  Basically this turned out to be a "not on a diet" day.  The extra 700 calories are ENTIRELY attributable to some chocolate covered pretzels and red wine shared with my wife, so you know, my peace and happiness quotient was high at least.

Guess what though, I still dropped 1.5lbs and weighed in at 241.0 lbs.  That's three days in a row at over a pound lost.  There's a very real chance that I'll see 239 type number tomorrow or the next day.

I should have a much more regimented day today and get my two major walks in along with a sensible dinner.

Workout today was:

  • Squat - (+5) 230 - 3x5 
  • Bench - (+5) 180 - 3x5
  • Chins - 3x15 (two bands)
  • Power Clean - (+5) 55 - 5x3
(Format note: Exercise - (+ how much I added) Weight - Sets x Reps)

Performance Notes:

  • Squat - Using belt on last warm up and all work sets. Getting heavy, feel strain in groin while maintaining "Knees Out".  As usual, getting my house in order and crisply addressing the weight helps immensely.  My third set is usually my best.
  • Bench - Using wrist wraps on last warm up and all work sets. I've adjusted my position "up" or towards the bar to aid in lift off.  It's getting too heavy to mess around with 3-4" behind vertical anymore. 
  • Chins - Super setting these in with the Bench sets.  Used wide strap and next smaller strap, which was too much.  I knew immediately that I'd be there all day if I did pyramids to failure as planned.  Opted for sets of 15 instead which was enough to burn me out by the last rep or two in each set.  I'll adjust down one strap width next time and try again.  My shoulder was a little iffy, so I'm happy to be cautious about withdrawing strap assistance.  I'm in no rush.
  • Power Clean - very pleased with my progress on form.  I think any issues I'm having with inconsistency are related primarily to the weight being so low.  That should correct itself over time, and I have no inclination to accelerate by adding weight faster than 5 lbs per workout.

No comments: