Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Can't overemphasize this

Developing a solid walking habit is key to my well being and comfort while strength training.

Sure it burns some calories and gets me away from my desk and out in the world, but the therapeutic value of using my sore muscles to do something as fundamental as walking simply cannot be overstated.

I'm squatting heavy sets of 5, three days a week, and until recently was ALSO dead lifting on each of those days as well (I'm alternating power cleans on an ABA BAB schedule now).  I have had ZERO DOMS.  I am absolutely stiff and slow to get moving almost every time I get up, but 50 yards later I'm ready to stretch out and see the world.

Secondarily, I think hitting these muscles MORE often is a big part of it too.  Everything I've read says that some hair of the dog is the best cure for sore muscles, i.e., squatting helps sore legs. I simply wont have enough time to be sore between now and Saturday when I lift heavy again, especially with a round of complexes on Thursday morning.

Anyway, I'm pushing it hard enough to see stars three days a week and I'm never sore.  I'm doing something right and those two things are my theory.

PS - everything we think we know about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is crap.  It's not lactic acid, it's not worse with eccentric contraction.

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/tip-doms-isnt-caused-by-what-you-think

No comments: